Tuesday, September 22, 2009

DIY Projects

Thanks to Ethan's lengthy naps as of late (he must be exhausted from us doing sleep training, which usually results in him crying for at least 45 minutes every night), I've been able to finish a couple refinishing projects. Thank goodness for the knowledge of my father and for the generous donations from my in-laws. We did a little rearranging, organizing and purging which is always good to do and our office looks a little more put together than before. Here are some before and after pictures from the two pieces I just completed.

I forgot to take a before picture of the desk before my Dad doused it with denatured alcohol, so here are the drawers from before. A little dull and dark.

Voila! The finished product. I love all the little drawers... a mug full of pens and markers was a little tacky.

The little bookshelf from before. Dings and all.

That denatured alcohol is AMAZING! It's like a magic eraser for wood.

Now what am I going to do while Ethan naps?

14 comments:

Shannon and Cameron said...

You can stalk people on their blogs?

Love the new furniture, I love DIY stuff. It looks great!

Bonnie said...

Wow thats amazing and looks so new!
your family is magic with wood! haha

B. Fidler said...

Amanda, the furniture looks beautiful! Wow. Great job!

GrandmaB said...

We are so proud...and your sister will be too!

Kirby said...

Well done! I am going to need some serious tips when I buy my dining table. I am looking for cheap ones on Craigslist that I can refinish white...I iwll be calling you.

The Harrisons said...

That stuff makes the wood look amazing! Great job!

Jen Richards said...

Hey! Your desk and shelf look amazing! You must have inherited some very good skills from your dad:) Glad to hear you are getting a little time during the day to finish some projects. Good luck with the sleep training- that is never easy.

robin marie said...

wow those are two great pieces! nice job.

Summer said...

Looks so awesome! Ty just taught me how to refinish our furniture and it looks as good as new...a bit fun to do too. :)

Kimberley said...

Just catching up on your blog... Ethan is so unbelievably adorable! And amazingly photogenic might I add! Impressive furniture restorations! I think you could teach me a thing or too!

kelly said...

come and do my bedroom dresser.
no, im serious. It is in desperate need of some refinishing/painting and I'm not sure where to start. let's make it happen.

sleep training sucks, but completely worth the screaming-the-lungs out phase. I don't know any other way.

Jules said...

Impressive. How about you teach me some of your moves so I can refinish an old sewing machine table we have.

Melanie Burk said...

Lovely. That makes me feel like I need to go back to your Dad's shop... Do you remember the dentist chairs they use to push by?

Matt and Jennae Porter said...

Hmm... watching TV always keeps me busy while Savannah naps! The furniture looks awesome. What exactly is denatured alcohol? Is that something you can buy in stores?