Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Random Notes

1. Amanda and I have finally figured out where we are going to live in Rochester, a townhouse at this complex. We're excited about it because it is right in downtown Rochester, so I can walk to work every day (about 5 blocks or so), and we're also within a block or two of the Eastman Theatre, next to an "artsy" movie theater, and close to some nice restaurants.


On the downside, it is in downtown Rochester, which, according to some, is not the greatest place in the world. Sure, someone was murdered a block away last year, but lightning doesn't strike the same place twice, right?

We ended up deciding against these lofts that we were leaning towards a few months ago because 1) they have no closet space (where would we keep our Christmas decorations?) and 2) the rent was significantly higher. It would've been cool to live there, but we're happy with our decision.

2. I finally bought the Paul McCartney album that I posted about a few days ago (the curse continues). Surprisingly, it was significantly better than I thought it would be. That is not to say that it was great or anything, but I think it was well worth the free $10 iTunes card I got from Lexis-Nexis. In fact, one song may even be good enough to make it onto my iPod's Macca-Mix, my exclusive Paul McCartney solo years playlist that is permanently limited to 20 songs ("Ever Present Past" may bump out "No Words" in case you were wondering). All in all, I'd give the album a thumbs up, three stars of four, or a 70/100 - depending on which scale you prefer.

3. Speaking of music, I think that I may have stumbled across the worst song ever written. While reviewing the Rule Against Perpetuities for the Bar Exam, I had my "I'm Looking Through You" radio station (music that "features mixed acoustic and electric instrumentation, major key tonality, a dynamic male vocalist, acoustic rhythm guitars and prominent percussion") on Pandora playing in the background. Although I really wasn't trying to pay attention to the music, this one song was SO bad that I had to put down my book and listen closely. Unfortunately, with Pandora, you can't replay a song (for copyright reasons), so I'm really basing this generalization on just one listen.

Without further ado, the worst song ever has to be "The Last Two People on Earth" by the GoldeBriars.

It is a love song that takes place in a post-apocalyptic world, where only two people are left to repopulate the planet. It is basically a folk song (with strumming acoustic guitars and male-female vocal harmonies), but it also features "futuristic" laser and robot sounds (to drive home the point that the song takes place in the future). Here's a cute little couplet that jumped out at me:

"Now there is peace, but the price was so high.
The world was destroyed leaving just you and I."


Now that's poetry. From my one listen, I can't tell if the song is trying to be romantic, or if it's a social commentary or a parody or what. Well, I'm pretty sure it's not a parody, but who really knows?

Unfortunately, I've only found a few 30 second clips of the song online (here's one that features the previously quoted couplet). If anyone has a complete version of this song (or even knows all the lyrics), PLEASE send it to me. I guess I could buy it on iTunes, but that would be putting money in the pockets of these people.

I take it back. I'm going to buy it. With songs like this, they probably need all the money they can get.




UPDATE: I just bought the song on iTunes, and have decided to write out the lyrics for all of you.

So it was written, that man's hate for man
would poison the skies and would blacken the land.
Now there is peace, but the price was so high.
The world was destroyed leaving just you and I.

We are the last two people on earth.
Now we've got to try for all that it's worth
to build a brand new world.
Yes, we are the last two people.
We are the last two people on earth.
Now we've got to try for all that it's worth.

How does it feel to be Adam and Eve?
Though this has happened, we still must believe
that life can begin in a garden of dust.
The whole human race is depending on us.

We are the last two people on earth.
Now we've got to try for all that it's worth.
Lets put our hearts together
there's nothing we can't face.
Now hate is gone forever,
and love has taken its place.


Could there be a better message? I mean, if we just killed everyone in the world off and saved two folk-singers to replenish the earth, the world would be filled only with love and hate would be gone forever. Isn't that really what we all want?

7 comments:

C-Biscuit said...

I actually listened to your GoldeBriars clip. That's 30 seconds I'll never get back. Thanks. But you're right, they probably need some more iTunes downloads to pay the bills. I think your purchase should count as feeding the hungry and clothing the naked. You're such a giving young man.

Anonymous said...

Ben, in line with your comments, do you remember/do you recall/have you ever heard "We Are the Folk Song Army" by Tom Leher? (Don't look for it on iTunes.)

robin marie said...

so did you guys factor in space for us to be your roommates? i sure hope so or else this could be an extremely awkward situation!

lebruf said...

Congrats on the new place and the extra closet space. It may not look as hip, but the money you save will look hipper (is that a word?). As for the recent murders, just carry some pepper spray and make sure it is pointed in the right direction.

Anonymous said...

You townhome is right next to the fabulous Inn on Broadway where I stayed when I interviewed in the Ro-Chest. I'm sure the neighborhood will be fine. When I was there I saw plenty of people out on the street at night. Granted, they were hookers and drug dealers, but its not like being an attorney is a respectable profession anymore. Think of them as potential clients.

The floor plan is exacly like the one you are in now except with bedrooms upstairs. Hopefully it smells better than the one you're in now did. Mmmmmmm..... sweet, sweet squirrel urine.

Ah, glad I could bring some positive energy to your blog.

Ben said...

Sam,

I went to the Inn on Broadway's web page, and I had no idea places that nice actually existed in Rochester.

The Harrisons said...

Amanda, who wouldn't want to see the "...most quotable movie since Napolean Dynamite."???